08 December 2009

Toy Cupcakes!

Yay, an update! Last night I finished the toy cupcakes for kinder. I've been saying I've been working on making cupcakes for kinder for a while now, and people have been all "ew, stale" - must remember to say TOY cupcakes!


I sewed on beads, sequins and used fabric paints to decorate the tops, as "icing". I tried to sew the beads on as firmly as possible, using a doubled thread, sewing through the bead up to three times, and then knotting the thread on the reverse. Hopefully this means that if one does come off then the others won't follow! The tops are cotton, with appliqued "icing". They are stuffed with scraps from cotton/bamboo quilt batting, and then are superglued into silicon cupcake baking moulds. I went through 5 tubes of superglue to make 12 cupcakes - wow. Many thanks also to Princess Leah who ably assisted me in choosing the beads and deciding on their placement :)

This pink one is Ember's favourite - I wonder why?!

The strawberry ones:

The lemon ones, or perhaps banana:

The vanilla cupcakes:

The chocolate cupcakes:

The yellow one has butterfly-shaped beads sewn on - it's hard to see in the photo.

While I was photographing them, my cat Pi had to come and check them out. They are NOT for noms!!

1 comment:

Alana said...

Good job Princess Kate (& Princess Leah)! They look good enough to eat!